Monday, December 04, 2006

Tuning Your Bull Shit Barometer

First, let me make one thing clear – I’m not an avid blogger. I don’t have any particular beef against those who are. Rather, I’m quite fond of the many blogs that share my spare time. As my roommate and co-workers will attest, I pander to Student Union tittle-tattle, Canada’s political scandals and, most importantly, Grey’s Anatomy (America’s Next Top Model is a close second). The list of self-interests goes on but I wouldn’t want to out myself as a die hard Oprah fan so I will stop with the above three.

As the VP Internal, I have the thrilling task of being the Chief Communications Officer of the Union. The DSU Executive work hard at putting out consistent and informative communications to our members and community stakeholders. Occasionally, we misstep and fall victim to student reprimand. I wholeheartedly believe that this blog will only perpetuate our communication blunders. Inside 6136 University Avenue will provide students with a personalized look into their Student Union by their elected student representatives. For this reason, I’ve jumped on the blog band wagon.

The irresponsibly warm weather on the east coast has conjured up the familiar summer time scent of crap. Actually, I’m not sure if global warming is to blame or the past US elections, the recent Liberal Leadership race, the looming Dalhousie Student Union elections or the foreseeable Federal one. Most likely, all of the above. Either way, we’re constantly being served a Big Stop-sized portion of bull shit, hereafter referred to as ‘BS’. A side not if you will… when reading this post I encourage you to read ‘BS’ as ‘bull shit’. Sound it out. You’ll have way more fun if you do (at least I did). While each exec has their own interests and I can only assume will post accordingly, I will be here to fine-tune your BS barometer. If there is a pressing issue on campus that you want addressed I invite you to email me your questions and thoughts. I only promise one thing: my weekly responses will be both subjective and biased – I will not glaze my responses with a spin-doctoring/media-manipulation/image-management frosting. If you’ll indulge me, I’d like to call this series of postings “Ask Chris Ide – tuning your BS barometer”. Let's begin.

Dear Chris Ide: When hosting a Society Grawood Night we were asking for a $3 cover charge from all attendees. The proceeds were going to a great cause (which will remain nameless to maintain anonymity). Some individuals approached demanding that they get in for free because they are Varsity Athletes. To which I responded, “at Dal?” Why do Dalhousie “Varsity Athletes” receive such courtesy’s from the DSU? I call BS. Sincerely, a concerned academic student.

Dear Academia,

Yes, BS, I agree. First, Dalhousie does have a Varsity Athletics program. Don’t laugh. Upon further inspection you’ll find that we kick ass in several areas. Which ones? I’m not entirely sure but Cross Country and Swimming come to mind. I encourage you to refer to the sports section of the Gazette or DSU Now (every Monday at 3:30pm) on CKDU 88.1FM where Joey Ryba delivers our weekly Varsity Athletics sports report. Is Dalhousie going to see a football team or make Wickwire field an indoor soccer stadium in our lifetime? No. Let’s get serious, there are a few more pressing issues at hand – namely an affordable and accessible education. Dalhousie is first and foremost an academic institution and one in which I am proud of being a part of. For this reason, it’d be more fitting to give Rhodes Scholar’s this VIP status at The Grawood. While the DSU does a lot to support Athletics on campus there is much more that that the Dalhousie community should be doing. Allowing our athletes to bypass charitable donations does not make that list. This organization and it’s members need to make a concerted effort to support Athletics. Before we do that demand your $3! I’ll see you at the next swim meet.

Thanks for asking, Chris Ide.